So its week 2 of Amazing 12 for the current round. My husband and I are also taking part of this round. After week 1 He asked for a little more variety in cooking. So I brainstormed a bit. Used many of the Amazing 12 provided recipes and then added my own creativity. I have a bit of a problem when it comes to cooking... I don't like to follow directions. When I make something from a recipe (unless its baking) I just look at the ingredients and cooking temps then throw it all in. I don't measure, I don't use all the ingredients, and sometimes I even add ingredients. So this Cilantro Lime Chicken stemmed from one of those moments! Let me tell you, Its so good! I have eaten it 3 times this week lol (Maybe that wasn't what my husband meant by variety... OOPS)
What do you need:
1 Bunch of Cilantro
4 Garlic cloves
1 carton of chicken broth (or min 2 cups)
1 cup of Brown rice
2-4 chicken breasts
2 cups of water
salt and pepper to taste
Large Ziplock Baggie for marinading
So first prep your food!
- un-leaf and Chop all that cilantro... yes all of it. 1/2 goes in the baggie for the marinade, half goes in the rice cooker or pot.
- Mince or Press the Garlic cloves placing 2 in a baggie and 2 in the rice cooker or pot.
- Zest 1 lime for the Marinade, zest the other for the Rice
- Use the juice of 1.5 limes for the marinade, the other half lime for the rice
- add a little salt and pepper to both the rice pot and marinade
- Place 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of chicken broth in the rice cooker or pot. Cook according to Directions on label
- Clean your chicken breasts, cut off any fats, veins, or unwanted meat. Add breast to the marinade.
- Add 2 cups or more of water to cover the chicken in the marinade
- Seal it and stick it in the fridge for 10 mins -2 hours (You could even do over night if you wish)
Cooking the chicken
- I like to use a Grill pan on my stove top. You could easily use a regular pan or grill.You can also bake the thawed chicken in a 375 degree F oven for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Using a Grill pan heat Olive oil at medium-high heat
- Remove the chicken from the bag and grill it over medium-high heat. Rotate the chicken on both sides continue grilling until the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Serve: We enjoyed it with Broccoli, but you could enjoy this over greens, or any veggie of your choice! I hope you enjoy! It was truly a refreshing change to the weekly food.
Reminder that the next wave of Amazing 12 starts January 11th. For more information visit: